Monday, June 05, 2006

Cutout Clutch

I recently made a dress for an upcoming event, and decided that I needed a clutch to go with it. I was inspired by the cutout handle bags I've been seeing around.

Measurements: 12 inches wide (bottom), 7 inches tall
Materials: vintage floral fabric from JoAnn's, cream jersey knit, button, elastic
Time: About an hour and a half

The image above shows me holding the clutch.


I created my own pattern, it was very simple to make. Its almost a rectangle shape, but the bottom corners are curved and the sides go inward a little as they go up towards the top. The clutch is lined and has hidden stitching. The only stitching you can see is the stitching around the openings on each side of the bag.
The image to the right shows the elastic button strap and the inside.


The clutch holds basic items that you would want to carry around with you, such as your wallet, makeup and phone. All four pieces (the two lining and two exterior) have interfacing, so that the clutch can still hold its shape once it has items in it. Of course, the clutch doesnt have a zipper so it can't completely keep the items from falling out, but the button closure prevents most, unless you tip the clutch over completely.
The image below is just another view of the front, with items peeking out.


I'm very happy with this clutch, and I plan on making more, next time with piping going around the edging of it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Neena said...

I love it. Very cool.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home